Monday 25 May 2020

Count Me Among Those Who Like Project 2020

One of the big talks of the hobby world right now are the Topps Project 2020 cards. These are the online exclusive cards that feature artistic interpretations of famous Topps rookie cards, mostly from the junk wax era.

These cards sell for $10 apiece on Topps and are released in batches. The print run is limited to however many Topps can sell. But they are going for crazy amounts on the secondary market, as the concept seems to have really clicked with a lot of collectors. Card flippers have then come in and run up the price, and the amount of discussion around the cards has further caused prices to inflate. Even people that talk about how much they hate these cards are causing prices to go up, because they are still talking about them.

Do you hate Project 2020? I think they are awesome. I've never ordered anything directly from the Topps site (again, shipping is prohibitive to Canada if I am buying from an American company), so I never intended to buy one. But they are definitely something I would have added to my collection if I had pulled them from a pack, no matter the value.

The reason I like them so much is that I am a really sucker for graphic design. I often find myself drawn to buying (or at least desiring) cards that have a really eye catching design, even if those cards feature a player, team, or even a sport I'm not interested in. For me, part of the appeal of collecting cards is that it feels like owning a little piece of artwork. It's not so much about value for me, as it is about emotional connection. I feel an emotional connection to a favourite player or team, but I can also feel an emotional connection to a beautiful design. I mean, without an emotional connection, how can I even describe a design as beautiful?

Some of the Project 2020 cards are grotesque, like the Ripken without a face, and a couple of other cards. I like the grotesque. I like that this card set is challenging our sensibilities of what cards are. I like that it's success might draw artists and graphic designers into this hobby to do things we've never seen before. I feel Project 2020 is creating positive changes in the hobby.

I would like to see more unusual sets released in the future, but they don't necessarily have to be sets that increase exponentially in value. I'm fine with something like Project 2020 as a lower value insert set, or something like that. I just want to see hobby norms get pushed to their limit and challenged in a way that card companies have not tried before. 

I might pull the trigger on this week's releases, which are pictured at the top. One is a fairly lifelike version of Nolan Ryan and the other a cartoon of Ken Griffey Jr.

What is your opinion on Project 2020? Have you bought any?

4 comments:

  1. Well said! There have been some that I think are terrible, others I find attractive. Just like all art, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I think it's good for the hobby to have buzz like you mentioned. I do wonder if you'll find them available for $5 years from now, but who cares even if that's the case. This is supposed to be fun after all!

    FYI, I believe they are $19.99 each on Topps' website. I've only bought two so far but got both on eBay for less than Topps was asking direct...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't think all of them have gotten expensive. I haven't done a ton of research on prices for these cards, but maybe I should because I wouldn't mind picking a few of them up. I wish they would make a couple of Jays players, though.

      Delete
  2. I've only found a handful of these Project 2020 cards that I really, really liked... but I just couldn't justify the price. I am looking forward to seeing Ermsy's Rickey Henderson and Tony Gwynn cards. If I do end up purchasing any, it'll probably be those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, some of the best looking ones are really expensive.

      Delete