Sunday 24 May 2020

My Favourite PC Card


This Gretzky card is one of the genuine holy grails of my collection. It's not so much this particular card that is a holy grail, but just owning a Gretzky autograph itself.

It's a pretty slick card, numbered to only ten copies. It's from Upper Deck's Black Diamond release.

It's not so much the low serial number that I like about this autograph, but that Gretzky is pictured with the Edmonton Oilers. I love collecting Gretzky cards where he is pictured with the Oilers. It's like Jordan with the Bulls or Joe Montana with the 49ers.

I intend to never part with this card, and although it is probably the most expensive card in my collection, its monetary value means little to me.

Which of your PC cards mean the most to you?

4 comments:

  1. I'd say the Topps Tony Gwynn rookie card I pulled from a pack when I was younger. I know I still have it... but I tried looking for it a while back and can't find it. I think it's sitting in one of my 1983 Topps sets sitting in my parent's garage. If I remember correctly, I swapped out a nicer conditioned card for the one I pulled... which wasn't exactly in gem mint condition.

    P.S. That Gretzky autograph is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what my favourite card is that I pulled from a pack. That's a good question, too. I don't know if I have ever ended a great PC card to my collection from a pack. I usually just sell my hits.

      Delete
  2. SWEET Gretzky! I don't have a Gretzky Oilers auto like this one, that is a beautiful centerpiece to any collection right there.

    I think my most meaningful cards are a 1950 Bowman Maurice McDermott, which was the first truly vintage card I ever owned as a kid and a gift from my Dad; and my 1982 Topps Cal Ripken RC I still have from childhood that I pulled myself from a vending box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father collected, too, and he gifted me his collection when I was in college. But he was a very casual collector, and didn't have a sense of how to store cards correctly. Most of them were junk wax and severely damage. I ended up salvaging what I could and selling that.

      Delete